zondag 8 november 2015

World Food Championship BBQ

My 4 seconds of fame

My 4 seconds of fame


Today the event I came for: The World Food Championship BBQ. This is an (almost) all day event, so I stayed on site until it was almost time for the award ceremony which took place in Celebration.



I skipped breakfast today, as I think that I will have enough bites to taste as a judge during the World Food Championship 2015 BBQ Competition.


I drove over to the Westgate Resort & Spa, where the teams set up their gear on the parking lot. I parked my rental car and walked by the teams to register for my duty. Since I was early, I walked back to a lot of the teams. I talked to some of the teams, wishing them good luck today, without entering their prepping area, since you do not want to see their boxed before they end up on the table.


Then it was time for the judges meeting, where we were greeted by the KCBS reps, Wayne Lohman, Bill Gage and Debby Gage. I was specially welcomed as being the only european judge at the BBQ contest. I even had to read out the judges oath.


What happens in the judging tent during judging will remain in the judging tent, so I cannot comment on any of that, except I can tell that the judges were very nice and the scores given by me were similar to other judges. This makes me believe that european judges have been thought how to judge properly.


After judging I stayed on site to talk a bit more to some teams and got a pink drink from Holly Harvard, Sweet Smoke Q. What an amazing lovely girl who makes a mean drink. Then I helped out the reps getting everything ready in time for the award ceremony later that day, together with Okker.


From the Westgate I just made it in time to Celebration for the award ceremony.


Alethia Shih (Independent) won the World Championship 2015 category Recipe.


Cindy Taffel (The Bad Vegan) won the World Championship 2015 category Seafood.


Stephen Coe (Mirbeau) won the World Championship 2015 category Bacon.


Lynn Smith (Que’n Stew’n & Brew’n) won the World Championship 2015 category Dessert.


In the BBQ Category there are multiple categories, as this is just like a regular KCBS contest which contains chicken, pork ribs, pork shoulder and beef brisket. The chicken category was won by Good Buddies BBQ. The pork ribs category was won with a perfect 180 score by Freeman Brothers BBQ. The pork shoulder category was won by Team Compart. The beef brisket category was won by The Shed. The overall winner of the World Championship 2015 category BBQ was The Smoking Hills BBQ.


The european teams can be proud of their results, competing in this tough competition with fierce competitors from all over the US and Canada. BBQ Wiesel was the best european team ending up overall 22nd. Serial Grillaz 30th, Boheman BBQ 41st and The Beast 54th out of 58 competing teams. In chicken BBQ Wiesel was the best european entry with a 19th place, in pork ribs a 23th place, Serial Grillaz was the best european entry in pork shoulder with a 29th place and in beef brisket Bohemian BBQ had a 16th place.



World Food Championship BBQ

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten