zaterdag 13 december 2014

Southern Pines & Blues BBQ Festival Perry

IMG_4665Today I am going to the Southern Pines & Blues BBQ Festival in Perry (Florida). A long day of BBQ and fun in the sun. Before that I will go eat breakfast in Perry and after the festival I will dine at another restaurant in Perry. Vandaag gan ik naar het Southern Pines & Blues BBQ Festival in Perry (Florida). Een lange dag vol BBQ en fun in de sun. Voordat ik ga, ga ik ontbijten in Perry en na het festival ga ik eten in een ander restaurant in Perry.



IMG_4525I spent the night in the Royal Inn in Perry. A nice and clean hotel. From there I went to Java Depot Coffee for a cup of coffee and some breakfast or brunch, as I spent part of the morning in the hotel room. I took the special of the day, being a croissant with bacon, cheese and an egg with a side of fresh fruit. The food is great and the price also.


IMG_4536After the brunch, instead of directly going to the Southern Pines & Blues BBQ Festival, I took some time to walk around the town. I followed a trail and saw some nice looking buildings around the town. The trail is short and within half an hour I was back at the car and I went to the festival site. When arriving at the festival site, I noticed that besides the BBQ contest and the entertainment which was there yesterday, there were also cars displayed.


IMG_4566Southern Pines & Blues BBQ Festival is also a car show. There are a couple of very nice looking cars. I watched the cars and after that I walked passed all the teams who were all busy preparing the food for turn-in. Around the festival area there are also guests tasting pieces of pulled pork as part of the people choice award. I spoke to one of the many people who were tasting and she was not very impressed by the pulled pork. Most of the pork was not spicy enough to her taste.


IMG_4641From there I walked over to the museum. There is a little museum at the site, where you can enter for $2 and look around. It takes you back a century or two and you get to see how people lived in the area during that time.


IMG_4662After that I spent some more time watching the teams preparing the food. They were busy preparing the last category for today, the brisket. I also got to see the turn-in place and meet and talk to some of the teams. After all the turn-ins had been completed and the judges were finished judging I entered the judging area and spent some time talking to some of the judges.


I also got to meet some of the FBA representatives and spent quite some time talking to the Wolfe brothers, who also won the best mustard based sauce and regular (tomato based) bbq sauce categories. In all I met some very nice people. I got to talk to the World Food Champion Jim of Sweet Smoke Q, to Big Papa’s Country Kitchen and some other teams.


IMG_6339After the award ceremony I stayed a little while looking and listening to the band playing after which I left and went to Pouncy’s Restaurant to have my dinner. My dinner was excellent. I had a chicken breast with bell pepper and cheese. As side orders I had tossed salad with homemade ranch dressing and mashed potato with gravy. I also had homemade sweet tea with that. Food was excellent and price is amazing. For only $11.11 I left the place very happy.


Tomorrow I will be going back to Orlando to go to SeaWorld.


IMG_4529Ik heb de nacht doorgebracht in het Royal Inn hotel in Perry. Een leuk en schoon hotel. Van daaruit ben ik naar Java Depot Coffee gegaan voor een kop koffie en wat ontbijt of brunch, aangezien ik een deel van de ochtend in de hotelkamer heb doorgebracht. Ik heb de special van de dag genomen, een croissant met spek, kaas en ei met als bijgerecht vers fruit. Het eten is goed en de prijs ook.


IMG_4554Na de brunch heb ik, in plaats van direct naar het Southern Pines & Blues BBQ Festival te gaan, wat tijd doorgebracht met een wandeling in de stad. Ik heb een trail gevolgd en heb wat mooie gebouwen gezien. De trail is kort en binnen een half uur ben ik terug bij de auto en ga ik naar het festival terrein. Als ik bij het festival terrein aankom, merk ik dat er naast de BBQ wedstrijd en de entertainment die er gisteren ook waren, ook auto’s geshowd werden.


IMG_4580Southern Pines & Blues BBQ Festival is ook een autoshow. Er zijn een aantal erg mooie auto’s. Ik bekijk de auto’s en daarna loop ik langs de teams die druk bezig zijn met het bereiden van het vlees voor de turn-in. Op het festival terrein zijn er ook gasten die stukjes pulled pork proeven voor de people choice award. I spreek met een van de vele mensen die aan het proeven zijn en zij was niet erg onder de indruk van de pulled pork. Het meeste was voor haar niet pittig genoeg.


IMG_4659Van daaruit ben ik naar het museum gegaan. Er is een klein museum op het terrein, waar je voor $2 naar binnen kunt gaan en rond kunt kijken. Het brengt je een eeuw of twee terug in de tijd en je krijgt een idee van hoe de mensen er in die tijd leefden.


IMG_4668Daarna kijk ik nog wat bij de teams hoe ze het eten bereiden. Ze zijn druk bezig de laatste categorie voor vandaag, de brisket, te bereiden. Ik krijg ook nog de turn-in plek te zien en ontmoet en praat wat met sommige teams. Nadat alles is ingeleverd en de jury klaar is met jureren, loop ik naar de jury ruimte en praat met een aantal juryleden.


Ik ontmoet ook nog een aantal FBA representatives en breng wat tijd door met de Wolfe brothers, die ook nog de awards winnen voor beste mosterdaus en beste bbq saus. Alles bij mekaar heb ik een aantal erg vriendelijke mensen ontmoet. Ik heb nog met de World Food Champion Jim van Sweet Smoke Q gesproken, met Big Papa’s Country Kitchen en nog een aantal andere teams.


IMG_6335Na de prijsuitreiking blijf ik nog even om naar de band te kijken en te luisteren en ben daarna naar Pouncy’s Restaurant gegaan voor mijn avondeten. Mijn avondeten was geweldig. Ik had kipfilet met paprika en kaas. Als bijgerechten had ik sla met huisgemaakte ranch dressing en aardappelpuree met jus. Ik had daarbij ook nog huisgemaakte ice tea. Het eten was geweldig en de prijs nog beter. Voor slechts $11.11 verliet ik tevreden het restaurant.


Morgen ga ik terug naar Orlando om naar SeaWorld te gaan.



Southern Pines & Blues BBQ Festival Perry

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten